East Newark may be small, but don’t let its size fool you: This Hudson County community is filled with charisma and charm. Like many of its New Jersey neighbors, East Newark is best known for its local fare—particularly the legendary Tops Diner, regularly named one of the state’s top diners. This local staple opened in 1942; menu-item hits like lobster mac and cheese, eggs Benedict, and burgers have remained consistently scrumptious throughout the decades. Speaking of burgers, don’t miss the diner’s Fatty Melt, an aptly named sandwich with hamburger nestled between two grilled-cheese sandwich “buns,” topped with pickles and bacon.
Pic-Nic, a cozy Portuguese restaurant with old-world décor, is another can’t-miss classic. This local hot spot serves hearty dishes like barbecue, seafood, and steak, with an expansive wine list to top the meal off.
In East Newark’s neighboring towns, opportunities ranging from professional sports to helicopter tours await. Head to Newark’s Prudential Center, less than two miles away, to cheer on the New Jersey Devils hockey team, or catch a college basketball game as the Seton Hall Pirates hit the floor. Harrison, another East Newark neighbor, is home to Red Bull Arena, home to the Major League Soccer New York Red Bulls and the Sky Blue FC of the National Women’s Soccer League. And, if you’re ready for the best view of all, hop aboard a Fly NYON helicopter ride at Kearny Point.
Reasons to Visit East Newark
- Eat at Tops Diner: We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: You simply can’t beat brunch, lunch, or dinner at the famed Tops Diner!
- Stay in an Affordable Hotel: The Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison is right across the border of East Newark, as is Comfort Suites Newark-Harrison—both are affordable local hotel options.
- Try Authentic Portuguese: Pic-Nic is an East Newark staple serving up some of the best, true-to-Portugal fare you can find, including mussels, Portuguese clams, and barbecue.
- Watch Professional Sports: From the New Jersey Devils hockey team at Prudential Center to the New York Red Bulls soccer pros at Red Bull Arena, sports enthusiasts will never run out of teams to cheer on in the East Newark area.
- Take an NYC Helicopter Tour: The popular Fly NYON helicopter tours in nearby town Kearny take daring guests over some of New York City’s most popular highlights, providing a true bird’s eye view of everything from the Statue of Liberty to the Empire State building.