From sweeping NYC views to a labyrinth of trails along the Palisades cliffs, North Bergen is one of Hudson County’s hidden gems—and it’s also the hilliest. North Bergen has the second most hills per square mile in the U.S., topped only by San Francisco. Explore this 5.5-square-mile town with a stroll or bike ride along the Hudson River waterfront, or head up to the scenic, city-view plateau. Each segment of North Bergen is diverse, with culinary delights La Sorrentina’s authentic Italian and the dazzling Waterside Restaurant, not to mention shopping along Bergenline Avenue.
Your North Bergen trip won’t be complete without a stop at the beloved James J. Braddock Park. Named after North Bergen-born World Heavyweight Boxing Champion (from Hollywood hit, “Cinderella Man”), this 167-acre park boasts an arboretum, nature trails, a dog run, picnic areas, sports fields, and the renowned local attraction: Woodcliff Lake. The 16-acre Woodcliff Lake overlooks Manhattan; Hudson County also maintains a wildlife sanctuary for breeding on the lake’s island.
For easy access to North Bergen’s best entertainment and attractions, as well as nearby New York City (just four miles away), stay at one of the city’s main hotels, including Best Western Premier. At this hotel, you can enjoy an indoor pool and fitness center, as well as free parking, free WiFi, and complimentary breakfast.
5 Reasons to Visit North Bergen
- Try Diverse Cuisine: Whether you’re craving Cuban bites or Peruvian fare, North Bergen’s eclectic restaurant scene, including Di Palma Brothers (Italian),Rumba Cubana, and Tapas de Espana, will take your taste buds around the world.
- Stroll a Nature Trail: The 167-acre : James J. Braddock Park is filled with serene trails and scenic walkways, both along the lake and atop the cliffs. If you need a rest, the Woodcliff Lake also has park benches with a fountain view.
- Watch Local Wildlife: Braddock Park is home to a natural wildlife sanctuary as well as a bird-viewing platform. Here, visitors can enjoy Hudson County’s array of flora and fauna, including turtles, fish, ducks, and geese.
- Enjoy Manhattan Vistas: In Hudson County, hills mean views, and North Bergen—the city with the second-most hills in the U.S.—has a lot of them! Head up to the top of North Bergen’s hills for sweeping views of the NYC skyline.
- Take a River Walk: But North Bergen’s views aren’t limited to clifftops; you can stroll along the Hudson River waterfront for NYC vistas as well. And, if you’re a cycling enthusiast, rent a bike through Hudson Bikeshare along the waterfront or at Braddock Park.