Guttenberg may be small—the town is only four blocks wide—but this Hudson County municipality is packed with scenery. Located atop the Hudson Palisades, Guttenberg offers an impressive bird’s-eye view of the New York City skyline. Head down to the Guttenberg/ North Bergen Waterfront Park for even more scenic vistas of Manhattan’s Upper West Side.
But Guttenberg is more than simply scenic lookouts. This vibrant community’s Bergenline Avenue—the city’s thoroughfare—is filled with authentic Cuban flair. Here, shops, restaurants, and entertainment showcase Guttenberg’s diverse roots. Restaurants like Rumba Cubana and Lotus Thai are just some of the many can’t-miss spots.
Art enthusiasts will also feel at home in Guttenberg. Artist residency Guttenberg Arts hosts a variety of unique events and programs, including exhibitions, artist talks, workshops, and hands-on classes.
5 Reasons to Visit Guttenberg
- Try Diverse Foods: Thanks to its ethnically diverse population, Guttenberg is bubbling with unique flavors. You can try authentic Cuban bites at restaurants like Rumba Cubana followed by noodles or curry at local favorite, Lotus Thai.
- Or Enjoy Authentic Italian: New Jersey is known for its Italian food, and local GP’s Restaurant and Bar does not disappoint. This Italian favorite has been serving Hudson County for over 40 years!
- Get Inspired by Local Artists: Guttenberg Arts puts on an array of talks and exhibitions with local artists. You can also try your hand at activities like drawing and painting here, too.
- Take in the City Views: Guttenberg’s waterfront views, particularly at Guttenberg/ North Bergen Waterfront Park, will leave you awestruck. These views of Manhattan’s Upper West Side are dazzling to say the least.
- Rent a Bike: Hudson Bike Share, a local bike rental program, has a hub at the Guttenberg/ North Bergen Waterfront Park. Rent a bike to explore this area, connected to the 18-mile Hudson River Waterfront walkway, on wheels.