“The Sopranos” fans, listen up: Kearny, home to the former Satriale’s Pork Store, is a can’t-miss destination. This 10-square-mile city is a mix of parks, waterfront, shopping, and sightseeing, particularly with the launch site of helicopter-tour company, Fly NYON at Kearny Point.
Soak up some of Kearny’s best green space at parks like Arlington Depot Park and Kearny Riverbank Park, which overlooks the Passaic River. One of the most popular spots, West Hudson Park, allures locals with athletic fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, and the highlight of them all: the two-acre Fairy Lake, which is fed from fresh springs and rain runoff.
Feeling hungry? You’re in luck: Kearny is brimming with diverse and delicious restaurant options. If you’re craving barbecue, head to Boa Vista BBQ & Grill. If seafood’s on your mind, hit up Oh Calamares for fish with Latin American flavors. This Hudson County town is yet another culinary gem!
5 Reasons to Visit Kearny
- Fly Over NYC: Helicopter-tour company Fly NYON departs from Kearny. On these tours, you’ll soar above some of Manhattan’s most iconic landmarks, such as the Empire State Building or Central Park.
- Try “Jersey Fresh” Fare: Every summer, Kearny Farmers Market kicks off the season with a tasty array of fresh produce, including home-grown fruits and vegetables, not to mention local honey, cookies, and breads.
- Taste Peruvian Flavors: Dining options abound in Kearny, but one of the most distinct and authentic cuisines is Peruvian. Cevicheria El Limon is just one of many places to enjoy these authentic flavors.
- Stroll through the Park: West Hudson Park is a favorite among Hudson County locals. Enjoy a blissful, tree-lined walk or a stop at the spring-fed Fairy Lake for peace and serenity in Kearny’s great outdoors.
- Join a Soccer Game: Kearny has deep soccer roots—some call it “Soccer Town USA”—so you might as well join or start a pickup game while you’re here. Score like the numerous Kearny-born World Cup players before you at fields in Veterans Park, Gunnell Oval, and beyond. Or, head over to the nearby Red Bull Arena to soak up some pro soccer, too.